This past week my family went to Folly Beach, South Carolina for our big family vacation. This trip was very special because we had the whole family together. My parents did an amazing job planning the whole trip for us. My husband and I drove down in the van with my family. My brother Alex, and his fiance, Steph, met us at the beach house, all the way from Virginia. My sister, Michelle, brought her boyfriend, Patryk. And my youngest brother, Forrest, was able to bring his friend, Dante. All together there were ten of us. This is a list of some of my favorite parts of the trip, and why. I would absolutely vacation to this spot again, and would recommend it to anyone.
- The Beach House– We rented a beach house right on the ocean for the week we were in town. Our front porch literally looked right out onto the beach, and it took us probably a total of just 15 steps to get onto the actual beach. Being right on the ocean was wonderful! Every morning Kevin and I would sit out on the porch and watch the sunrise, or listen to the waves. Any moment we wanted, we had the most breathtaking view from any of the windows of our house. Being right on the beach made it so easy to go down and lay out, or swim in the water (which was an unbelievable 85 degrees Fahrenheit!) It was easy to go for a nice walk on the beach, and because our porch faced the beach, we enjoyed watching each other play in the ocean from the house.
- Downtown Folly and the Golf Cart– We all had a blast visiting downtown Folly Beach. The downtown area is just a small street full of fun touristy stores and restaurants. You definitely know that you are on vacation in a beach down when you stroll around downtown Folly. We rented a golf cart during our stay because the town itself is not very big, and it was easier to just drive the golf carts to town instead of all piling into the van. The golf cart was so much fun because we got to enjoy the beautiful weather, and who doesn’t love driving those things!?
- Deep Ocean Fishing- One of my personal favorite parts of our trip was when we went deep ocean fishing. We went out on two fishing boats with professional fishermen. They helped us and taught us how to fish! Our boat caught two large catches. It took Kevin, Alex, and my dad all their strength to reel in a gigantic sting ray that was 4 feet across in length. Because the ray was huge, we were not able to bring it up onto the boat, but we all were in shock when we saw how big it was in the water. I also ended up reeling in a 4 foot shark all by myself! I can cross that one off my bucket list! I know the other fishing boat with our family ended up catching a few sharks as well! This was definitely an experience that was unlike any other. Just being on the ocean was amazing too, so much being surrounded by sharks and sting rays.
- Patriot’s Point- We spent most of Tuesday at Patriot’s Point where we explored the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier, the USS Laffey destroyer, and the USS Clamagore submarine. I think that the guys on the trip liked this part the most. You had free rein to roam all over these huge vessels that use to be active for the US navy. The aircraft carrier had so many old planes, which were so fun to see too!
- Charleston Carriage Rides/Boat Tours- Charleston was absolutely beautiful! The history and architecture there blows my mind. One of the best ways to explore the city was going on a carriage ride. We had a carriage that fit up to 15 people. Our carriage driver took us all over the historical streets and areas of Charleston. We learned so much on that one carriage ride. We also went on a boat tour around Charleston. My favorite part of the boat was getting to see Fort Sumter.
- Escape in 60- Spur of the moment, we decided to try an escape room. Most of us had never done one before, and those that did said that they would love to do it again. We all had such a blast! All ten of us were locked in a room, the Warden’s office, and had to use clues and puzzles around the room to help us escape. A TV monitor with our 60 minute countdown made the pressure feel more real! This was perfect for my family because we are all very hands on and love puzzles. I definitely would recommend an escape room to anyone who loves adventure!
- Crabbing- At night, we would all go out to the beach with flashlights, nets, and buckets. As we walked, small crabs would be on the sand, in the water, and along the rocks. It was so much fun trying to chase the crabs with our nets. We let them all go after, but it was fun to see how many we could catch. While crabbing, it was stunning to see all the stars. That view is definitely something we don’t get up in Chicago. You could even make out the constellations.
- Game Nights- We had two fun game nights while on vacation. While we all played games 2 nights, throughout the trip everyone was constantly playing games throughout the days. Some of my favorite were Code Names, Bananagrams, Pie Face, and Rollick (a team charade game). Having ten people in the house meant that there was always someone to play a game with.
- Family Bonding- The absolute best part about the trip was spending so much time with my family. Now that Kevin and I are married and out on our own, and Alex and Steph are in Virginia, it is pretty difficult to get the whole family together. Being able to spend the entire week together was wonderful. There was no doubt that everyone became closer from this trip.
Thank you for letting me share my vacation memories will you all! This family vacation was definitely a success! The memories that we made together will last forever!